Saturday, March 24, 2007

Being a 6'7" Women's Hoops Player Requires Growth

Alison Bales is a senior center on Duke's #1 ranked women's basketball team seeking the school's first national championship in that sport. She is the third leading shot blocker in NCAA women's history, which might seem like a "duh" for a woman who stand 6'7."

Stop and think for a moment. How difficult do you think it is being a 6'7" female college student when you're NOT on the basketball court? Bailes appears to be handing that challenge quite well.

"I think Ali has grown more as a person and a player than anybody I've ever coached," (Duke coach Gail) Goestenkors said. "And I've seen great growth in so many people. But the confidence that she now carries herself with -- on and off the court -- is remarkable."

"It's not a big deal to me anymore," (Bales) said. "With everything that my height has given me, it's a blessing. I'm a daughter, a sister, a teammate, a friend, just a regular college student."

I suspect she's not giving herself enough credit with that last statement.

Click here to read Michelle Voepel's feature on ESPN.com, "With family, coach's support, Bales blossoms into star."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home